Learn and understand the story of Samson
Understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses
By the end of the lesson, the children will have learnt about how Delilah betrayed Samson and how, although he was very strong, Samson, like all humans, had a weakness.
- Brainstorm – What is betrayal / trust – Children to suggest what betrayal/trust is, what it means and how one can betray a person or trust a person. Children should also give examples of where betrayal has occurred or where trust is important.
- Trust games – Play a trust game with the class, discussing why it is important to trust each other.
Examples of trust games might include: Blindfold one child, whilst another instructs them to walk to another place, or instructs how to draw something. Alternatively, the trust falling game, where one person falls backwards into the arms of another.
- The Story of Samson and Delilah – Read through the story of Samson and how he was betrayed by Delilah. Talk about the fact that Samson lied to Delilah three times before finally giving in and telling her his secret. When he did this he was betrayed by Delilah. Was it okay for Samson to lie? Should Delilah have betrayed him for money if she really loved him?
- Option 1: Storyboard – Children to retell the story of Samson and Delilah using pictures and annotations. Use the storyboard template or retell the story in their own style.
- Option 2: Design a Poster Advertising Samson’s Qualities – Children to design a poster indicating all of Samson’s qualities and his one weakness. Children to use pictures and exciting descriptive vocabulary to make the poster stand out.
- Option 3: Make a Wanted Poster – Children to create a Wanted poster for Samson, detailing all of his characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. (template)
- · Strengths and Weaknesses – Each child in the class must say aloud one strength and one weakness. This should allow them to think about how everyone, even Samson has strengths and weaknesses.
- Summary of Samson – Discuss whether Samson was wrong to lie to Delilah in the first place and therefore deserved the betrayal. Is there ever a time when it is okay to betray someone.